Sunday 9 June 2013

My final thoughts of the Xperia P

I have had the Xperia P for a while now and I thought id close with my very final points.

Over all I have enjoyed this phone, though it hasnt come without its massive problems and irony. First off I will say that this is a good phone, especially for its price. Anyone who is new to the mobile phone world and has perhaps had a low end smart phone before looking to move up a little but doesnt want to bust the bank with insanely priced Samsung S3's and I Phone 5's would do well to look this phone up. 


As I expected from the start the 1.5 second photo taking has slowed down over time. It is still fast, and much faster than previous Xperia cameras after the same time period. I am sometimes faced with lag when I have REALLY needed to take a picture fast due to law of the sod. The pictures are still being taken within 5 seconds (at the very worst) even with a lot of crap on my phone. The fast photo taking feature does feel like the camera does get rushed as it tends to blur often when using this feature. It would have been great to do multiple bursts with this feature so I could pick out the best one. 

The camera is pretty much the high standard of 8 megapixel camera you'd expect from Sony. At first I thought the 8 megapixel camera was much better than my Xperia Pro and Arc. After uploading the photos to my computer and comparing them to other Xperia phones I found I decided  that the quality was about the same. The White Magic feature on the Xperia P's screen making the photos look much better than they were while viewing them on the phone.

The White Magic feature is where the irony comes in. It is FANTASTIC. It really brings photos to life. I would easily put it as MUCH better than Super AMOLED. As we know AMOLED has its issues with screen burn and giving off very unusual radioactive colours, which is fine when your looking at graphics and menus but when looking back at photos and watching films then not so much. I really wish they had put White Magic in EVERY Xperia phone as its easily the best feature of this phone. Sadly since the battery is so small (being smaller than the Xperia U) you are scared to turn the screen brightness over 30% when going out to work for the day (and I only work a 6-7 hour day). This usually means that I can only really enjoy White Magic when I am at home or with a charger near by. White Magic may be a sensational viewing experience but I have failed to see its battery saving abilities like Sony claim (or if it does work then I dread to think what the phone would be like without this battery saving feature!). I also noticed little advantage when out in the sun. I was in Barcelona last month and the White Magic on full did very little to help my viewing experience at mid day. 

Anyone who owns this phone needs to know that you WILL NEED TO TAKE YOUR CHARGER WITH YOU...EVERYWHERE. Or at a very minimum just be very mindful of battery life. Turn everything off if your not using it. I know this is something your supposed to do anyway but you really cannot afford to make a mistake with this battery. I live in a rural area with 3 as my network operator so my phone is often searching for signal too which kains the battery even more. When I get home from a shift it is not uncommon for my battery to be on 1-5%. Sometimes its run out completely.  

The dual core S3 processor works well. Like with the instant photo taking feature the dual core processor does lag a bit after time but is still performing much better than previous single core phones last year. This is something you would expect with any laptop or phone. The whole experience is much smoother than anything ive had before. 

The phone is made out of a plastic. It looks the part and is very light. The size of the phone is just right with a 4 inch screen which makes using the phone one handed a bit easier (even with my fat fingers). It does mean that the phone is sliding out of my pocket a lot. This isnt a problem with jeans but with anything else I am often finding my phone down the sofa, at the bottom of my car or down the side of the bed. I am very exited to see that Sony have given the Xperia T some sort of rubber casing to add some friction to the phone. Just be careful with this phone as it spends a lot of time on the floor. 

The screen is pretty good. Like I mentioned above the White Magic is brilliant. Its Pixel density is 275 which is very high and beats the S3 Mini by far. Its just the right size and is incredibly responsive. I did manage to get a large scratch on the screen which could be down to the plastic casing making it slide out my hand every five minutes. 

Sonys integration with Facebook makes the social networking experience fantastic. This isnt exclusive to the Xperia P but all Xperia hand sets. Tech Radar came out a while back and congratulated Sony on this and even went as far as to say that Sony are the very best at this atm. If you love Facebook then this phone (or brand is for you, no question).

There were a lot of things I assumed about this phone when I first got it which I was dead right about. The instant photo taking lagging after a while being the main one. However there was one thing I thought I was going to absolutely hate about this phone which I have grown to love. The see through strip at the bottom of this phone. A lot of reviews have said they are very disappointed with the fact it doesn't light up when a notification comes through...myself included. The strip is however much more responsive than I thought it was going to be. I love the way it vibrates when the buttons are pushed, and though it sometimes doesn't detect my finger when I push the button I have gotten used to it and have learned how to use it in day to day life with little trouble. I really like this feature and really hope Sony keep it. This is just me though and this could be different for other users. 

More to follow....


No comments:

Post a Comment