Sunday 9 June 2013

Xperia P in the car (July 2012)

In the one in a million chance you read my first thoughts on the Xperia P you would remember that I was quite nervous about going back from the physical qwerty keyboard of the Xperia Pro and back to touch screen keyboards of the Xperia P. I have never got on with touch screen and it was something I was not looking forward too. I was however, exited about having a larger screen as a result. The Xperia P's screen is a realistic 4 inches where as the Xperia Pro's was only 3.7 inches. Not to mention that the Xperia P's screen has "White magic" which helps show the screen in bright lighting which you often get in cars. Therefore, am I correct in assuming it would be better as a sat nav?

Well in the short time I have used the Xperia P in my car I have noticed a few things. The screen is a bit easier to view in the car in the day and night. Sadly, thats it.

Even with the screen being turned right down The Xperia P's battery has been getting hit hard when using GPS, even for short journeys. I am hoping to head off to Brighton within the next month and I dread to think how long it is going to last. I am really unsure if it could last one way. A few friends and I have been talking about this issue and we came to the conclusion that a in car charger is a must for this phone. If Sony are going to cut corners for the sake of costs, I wonder how much a cheap in car charge would add to the price? As for someone like me, it would make a huge difference.
Even being able to charge it between journeys just so it lasts the day would be a good idea, as my battery is still not lasting until the evening when I am at work. 

I have also noticed that in the phone holder that the speaker phone is not loud enough to have a conversation while driving. I think the person can hear me fine but I am unable to hear them. The Xperia Pro had a similar issue also so its not such as issue on the Xperia P. 

The Xperia P's slim shape does make it easier for most phone holders to grip but otherwise this phone is a let down for the high mileage driver unless you buy some accessorys. 

This phone does encourage people to perhaps be less dependant on technology when driving, like being forced to use a map or learn the route themselves but am I just fishing for excuses for this phone? I could say the same about any phone struggling to keep up. 

Xperia S battery 1750 mAh
Xperia Pro battery 1500 mAh
Xperia Arc battery 1500 mAh
Xperia Neo battery 1500 mAh
Xperia Ray battery 1500 mAh
Xperia U battery 1320 mAh
Xperia P battery 1305 mAh

No comments:

Post a Comment