Sunday 9 June 2013

My first thoughts on the Xperia T (Jan 2013)

After the frantic few months of obsessing over the Xperia T I was lucky enough to get given one by Sony. Thanks fellas!
After studying it so much on forums, reviews, articles and spec sheets, I have finally got my hands on it and have been using it for about a month now.
My over all impression of the phone is that its quite simply a sensational phone. It has it all. Dont get me wrong, this phone does have its faults and hasnt been the run away dream I had expected.
First of all I thought I would talk about the camera. This is one of the strongest features of the phone. A whopping 13 megapixel HD camera with an Exmor R sensor. There have been a lot of reviewers saying that the camera has far to many megapixels and causes a lot of noise. Others have been saying that the Exmor R sensor handles it perfectly so there is no need to worry.
My personal opinion is that the camera is incredible, but I am still somewhat in the middle of this debate. The 13megapixel mode does suffer from a bit of noise, though not as much as some negative reviewers would have you believe. The Exmor R does a fair job at handling it but I am still finding occasionally that it struggles, especially in low light conditions. What a lot of people fair to realise though is that the camera can be changed down to a 10 megapixel level which handles like a dream. There is no doubt that this camera rivals the Iphone 5's camera and certainly pisses all over the rival Android cameras.
There is clearly a time to use the 13megapixels and not. Its all about learning to use it. My personal opinion is that its nice to have the choice, right? The phone also comes with a lot of other cool features which I have been talking about on my Instagram account which I have dedicated to my Xperia T (Sy2pie - add me).
The screen is beautiful too. Its HD with the Bravia engine in it. It does everything you could want from a phone. Especially when it is turned up. The Bravia does an ok job at smoothing over grainy Youtube videos but isnt anything ground breaking. Personally, I would have loved to have seen Bravia 2 like the Xperia V.
I am also very glad that they have still continued to avoid AMOLED screens with their notorious problems with screen burn and over saturated colours. When I look at some of the photos ive taken on the Xperia T (especially in high light conditions) the pictures look beautiful and near identicle to object I have just taken the picture of. I would have liked to have seen the viewing angles improved on this, or perhaps had White Magic which was on my previous phone (the Xperia P). Either way, I am still very happy with it.
The design is very good too.  Its sleek, sexy and stylish. What else would you expect from a Bond phone? I am SO glad they have brought back the Arc shape. It balanced so well in your hand and the matt like backing to the phone feels great too.
The only issue I have with the design is some of the buttons are in silly places, though once you turn the phone on its side you see that the buttons are put there to make the photography experience seem a little more professional. So its a love hate relationship, though I think people who do not use their cameras much will dislike this.
I have also noticed that my phone seems to be going through little phases of popping out my sim card. The Xperia T has a little slot on the side which is covered by a cap. Occasionally this decided it doesnt want to stay closed and gets popped out by my sim card. Its almost like my phone is in a mood with me because it will do it for a few hours nearly none stop for an hour every few weeks. Its very strange. This also leads to my phone turning itself off, very annoying. Some reviewers have said the cap is weak and breaks off easily but as far as I can tell this is very well made and I have had NO signs of it even weakening.
The new S4 qualcomm processor is doing a fantastic job. A lot of people have said that it cannot keep up with quad core phones, yet latest benchmark tests have claimed it out performs some quad core phones because the Android OS isnt optimized for quad core yet. So far, I have noticed little lag. It has occasionally when I have asked unrealistic things from it but otherwise its been a very smooth experience.
I have noticed the occasional issues with Facebook but TBH I think this is down to the Android Facebook app being famous for being total garbage.
The FIX (Facebook Inside Xperia) integration is of Sonys usual high quality. All notifications, events and birthdays are synced to my phone perfectly. If you message me on Facebook, I know about it instantly. I might be kicking myself later for telling you this when I forget your birthday but I really shouldnt have any excuse, as all Facebook birthdays and events are stuck on my Android and Google calendar.
The battery life is much improved on the Xperia P (no kidding, right?). My battery finally lasts all day, even with very heavy Sy usage. Though it is not perfect. The battery does need charging every day and I really cannot afford to be slightly lazy one night and not charge it. If I am not on top of the battery then I will end up suffering for it.
The Playstation Store is brilliant. To be honest it is much better than I thought it was going to be. There is a great selection of games and the quality and feel of the software is really good. I was a little upset to find that you can only sync your PS3 game pad to it when rooted.
NFC seems to work well on it. No issues here.
more to follow

No comments:

Post a Comment