Sunday 9 June 2013

The Xperia P abroad. (August 2012)

I shall be going to Barcelona for three nights from tomorrow. I shall be taking my Xperia P and seeing how it handles.

I have no doubt that its camera shall not disappoint me and I know the White Magic screen shall serve me well in the hot sun but my main worry is the terrible battery life. I am going to need to turn my screen up reasonably high to be able to see the screen and I shall be using my camera a lot. All I ask from this phone is to be able to use my phone during the day without it running out of battery and then charging before going out again at night. 

If the phone cannot manage this simple task then i consider it a fail...To be honest it struggles to do this during the day in England with a low screen brightness and minimal use during work. So this will be interesting to see. 

Things I will be testing the Xperia P on during my trip away.

Battery life.
How the screen handles in bright hot weather.
The camera.
Practicality (how it handles in busy crowds like holding on to it, using it in a rush, etc).
Signal and connecting to networks.

(update)

Over all the phone was a success. I will say however this was mainly down to the fact I had a European plug converter to charge the phone every time I was back at my apartment. The battery seemed to last a lot of the day because of this.
The camera served me well but didn't serve me any better than the Xperia Pro or Xperia Arc. The camera hasn't evolved as far as I can see over the past year or so, especially in terms of results. The instant photo taking feature rarely gets used as I like to adjust my settings before each photo. The panorama capture proved very useful in the Barcelona FC stadium but otherwise i consider it a very standard camera. 
White Magic was quite useful in the hot sun though it didn't make much difference at mid day when the sun was at its brightest...even with the screen brightness turned up max. 
Sadly for me I couldn't test everything about the phone as 3 do not have a network in Spain so a lot of the time it was in flight mode...this also might explain why the battery didn't let me down too much.

The phone served me well but don't get too exited...so did some of the older phones from Sony. Little progress from this generation in my opinion...this phone is still using the same OS!
Dont consider this a phone bashing though as Sony's standards are still above the curve in reliability and functionality. Its just frustrating to see little progress has been made. I wouldn't recommend this phone if you do not plan to charge it while on holiday as I know some people do try and make the battery last. It will fail in the first day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment